A low volume, high quality source from the demand side perspective.The podcast is produced weekly. A transcript is posted on the day of.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Cantwell-Collins promotional material

We recorded Tuesday's podcast before receiving this video from Maria Cantwell on behalf of the CLEAR Act.  Since it combines checks to individuals with a price on carbon, it may have legs.

Here is Cantwell's introduction of the Act back in January.

My Fellow Washingtonian,

Last week, my Democratic colleagues in the United States Senate gathered to discuss a way forward on comprehensive energy and climate legislation. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid asked me to brief the caucus on my bipartisan legislation, the Carbon Limits and Energy for America's Renewal -- or CLEAR -- Act. Co-sponsored by Senator Susan Collins (R-ME), the CLEAR Act is the only climate bill pending in the Senate with Republican support. As part of my presentation, I showed this video, which explains how our cap-and-dividend proposal is a simple, transparent, and consumer friendly way to reduce carbon pollution, jumpstart our nation's urgently needed transition to a clean energy economy, and reduce our dangerous overdependence on fossil fuels. I would very much appreciate your feedback on the CLEAR Act and encourage you to also share this video colleagues, friends, and family. Also, check out the CLEAR Act page of my website for more information on the legislation, as well as this Washington Post editorial that Senator Collins and I authored last week.

Senator Collins and I introduced the CLEAR Act last December. CLEAR limits carbon pollution by requiring fossil fuel producers and importers to bid at an auction for "carbon shares," which are permits needed to sell fossil carbon into the U.S. economy. Of the resulting revenue, 75 percent would go back to the American people in monthly checks, keeping all low and middle-income families whole for any resulting energy price increases. The remaining 25 percent would go toward clean energy investments and other climate related needs like adaptation needs and funding projects that reduce other greenhouse gases. Majority Leader Reid has identified the CLEAR Act as one of three proposals worthy of serious consideration as the Senate moves forward with climate legislation. Senators John Kerry (D-MA) and Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) were also invited to present at last week's meeting.

Again, the video is available here. Please take a look and let me know what you think. And as always, feel free to e-mail me any concerns, or call one of my offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment